Wednesday 27 September 2017

Red-necked Grebe: Roding Valley Lake, 3rd Visit

I made another brief visit to Roding Valley Lake this afternoon hoping the Red-necked Grebe would still be present. A quick scan from the West bank and I found it out in the middle of the lake.
I turned away from the lake as a Common Buzzard drifted across the cricket pitch and a Sparrowhawk flew across the top of the Willow Trees near the water's edge.
I'm not sure if the Buzzard or Sparrowhawk had spooked the Grebe, but it was nowhere to be seen when I scanned the lake again. No sign of it at it's favoured Southern end or along the Eastern side. Having walked around most of the lake, noting two Little Egret, three Grey Heron and two Terrapins (Red-eared) possibly? I eventually found the Grebe drifting along with a small group of Coots. The weather was dull and overcast and the Grebe remained distant, but I took a few shots all the same.








The local Canada Geese approached much closer. Trying to grab some of the attention away from the star bird.


No comments:

Post a Comment