Sunday 8 April 2012

Back on the Patch

A later start than expected, saw me arrive at the farm car park at 7. (Fisher's Green car park gates still locked) which means that the Bittern hide will also still be locked. I still take a quick walk round to Seventy Acres Lake, but no new arrivals to be seen. So headed off towards "The Goose Fields". Reaching the overflow car park I could see some geese in the first field. A scan with bins and then scope got me onto the Pink-footed Goose that was reported the previous day by Mike Oakland. A patch tick and the list reaches 80.
The goose fields hold pairs of Redshank, Shelduck, and Shoveler, but despite my best efforts and constant scanning, I can't find any Yellow Wagtails or Wheatears in either field. Two Pied Wagtails are all that show.
I continue on with a circular walk around Langridge Scrape which produces plenty of Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, and Skylarks, but again no Yellow Wags or Wheatears. Returning to Langridge Scrape I do at least spot one of the LRP's first seen on the 5th.
The Rain starts to get heavier so I start to make my way back towards the car. Reaching the corner of the field and hedgerow there are more singing Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs and a very noisy Cetti's. Then I hear and soon locate my first Willow Warbler (81) on the patch this year.
Two-morning visits in the last three days produce seven patch ticks, not bad at all. With more migrants arriving within the next couple of weeks, it should be a productive time on the patch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment